Thursday, September 22, 2016

 Thursday, September 22

Just left Cincinnati area after spending four days in there with my wonderful cousin.

I was fortunate enough to get enough of a tour of Cincinnati to get a feel for it. Several interesting things there

First, the underground railroad freedom Center which is devoted to primarily the underground railroad was used during the Civil War for slaves to get to freedom in the north from the south. And I think it was somewhere between 30 and 100,000 that came through Cincinnati

I also came across some streets are named after names that I recognized and could not understand  why they were named after the people that they are. The first one was John James Audubon who is the natural listed many of you may recognize his name particularly well known for his paintings of birds which are exquisite. If you're not familiar with him if you Google him you'll see some of those painting  which are just terrific. I found out that he spent the last year's of his life living in the Cincinnati area and serving as a naturalist at one of the museums there.

The next name was Ezzard Charles. I immediately recognized him as a one time heavyweight champion of the world . Charles spent about 10 years of his life or maybe the last end of his life in Cincinnati. The third one was Dave  Cowens. He's a Hall of Fame basketball player that Bonnie and I saw play in Honolulu in 1969 I think it was. He then went on to have a distinguished career mostly with the Boston Celtics. So I looked him up and found out it it was Newport Kentucky where he went through high school. And then went to the University of Florida. Newport is right next to Fort Thomas where I was staying ,so saith the muse

No comments:

Post a Comment